Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This recipe appeared in one of our local newspapers and reported that in England, the English now consider Chicken Tikka (Indian Style cuisine) as a national dish, and their number one choice rather than the old fashioned Fish and Chips. This Chicken is very good if you prefer a variety of spices. I certainly enjoyed it.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
This is certainly spicy and flavourful, Very good recipe. Made it just as stated with the exception of using soy yogurt due to that I do not mix meat and dairy.
Easy to make and it freezes well. All the spices come together very well and while cooking it sure gives a tantalizing smell!
Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cardamom, cumin, corriander, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika and garam masala; set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent and very tender and lightly golden; about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices, minced ginger and minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in tomatoes including liquid, tomato paste and chicken broth and bring to a simmer and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 3/4 inch cubes, place in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, the add to the frying pan.
- Cover the pan and return to simmer and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened; about 10 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt and heat for 1 minute.
- Serve with cooked Basmati Brown Rice.
- Boneless chicken thighs may also be used instead of chicken breasts.
- Whipping cream may be used instead of yogurt.