1/26 Photos of Chicken Tikka Masala
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe appeared in the Chicago Tribune on 4/17/02. The dish has turned out to be extremely popular but be advised that it's very spicy when the recipe proportions are adhered to. Unless you want a super-hot dish, I recommend cutting back on the ground red pepper in the marinade. It may also be a good idea to remove the seeds and veins from the jalapeño chile in the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece minced ginger (1-inch long)
- 6 bamboo skewers (6-inch)
- 1Soak bamboo skewers in water.
- 2Thread chicken on skewers, and marinate (in the refrigerator) for an hour or so.
- 3Discard marinade.
- 4For sauce, melt butter on medium heat.
- 5Add garlic & jalapeno; cook 1 minute.
- 6Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala & salt.
- 7Stir in tomato sauce.
- 8Simmer 15 minutes.
- 9Stir in cream; simmer to thicken- about 5 minutes.
- 10Grill or broil chicken, turning occasionally, to cook through- about 8 minutes.
- 11Remove chicken from skewers; add to sauce.
- 12Simmer 5 minutes.
- 13Garnish with cilantro Serve with basmati rice, naan or pita bread.
- 14Note: You can make your own garam masala. McCormick also makes garam masala; it's available in super markets.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tikka Masala
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.0
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 206.3 mg
- Sodium 1425.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 41.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: