1/6 Photos of Chicken Tikka Masala
Make this only if you are a lover of spicy Indian food! To save some time you can grill or broil the chicken up to a day in advance, make certain to soak the wooden skewers in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes before threading, I have stated the least amount of heat level, but this recipe requires a certain amount of spice, for more heat increase the cayenne pepper and jalapeño pepper to suit taste, Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinade for 4 hours. This complete recipe may be doubled to 8 breasts but you will need to make two separate recipes in two separate bowls for the yogurt marinade (4 breasts in each bowl) the sauce recipe may be successfully doubled into one recipe but use no more than 2-3 tablespoons fresh garlic if you are doubling the sauce. Cooking time is for grilling the chicken and for making the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (cut into about about 1 to 1-1/2-inch cubes, can use 5 breasts)
- 4 -5 wooden skewers (soaked in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes)
- 1 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne (adjust amount to suit heat level)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (or use 1 teaspoon fine black pepper)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (sliced in half) (optional)
- 1For the marinade; in a large bowl combine yogurt, lemon juice, cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, ginger and the garlic halves (if using) mix until well blended.
- 2Add in the chicken cubes or strips; toss to combine well with the marinade.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours (mixing a couple of times during chilling).
- 4Thread the chicken onto water-soaked skewers, and discard the marinade.
- 5Grease the grill grates, then grill for about 5-6 minutes on each side (or the chicken may be oven-broiled.
- 6For the sauce; melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 7Add in garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté for 1 minute.
- 8Add tomato paste, cumin, paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir for about 1 minute.
- 9Add in tomato sauce and whipping cream; simmer uncovered on low heat until the sauce thickens (about 20-25 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- 10Add in the grilled chicken cubes and simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- 11Season with more salt and black pepper if desired.
- 12Transfer to a large serving platter and garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tikka Masala
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 816.5
- Calories from Fat 595
- Total Fat 66.2 g
- Saturated Fat 36.3 g
- Cholesterol 279.0 mg
- Sodium 1745.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 37.7 g