Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Make this only if you are a lover of spicy Indian food! To save some time you can grill or broil the chicken up to a day in advance, make certain to soak the wooden skewers in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes before threading, I have stated the least amount of heat level, but this recipe requires a certain amount of spice, for more heat increase the cayenne pepper and jalapeño pepper to suit taste, Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinade for 4 hours. This complete recipe may be doubled to 8 breasts but you will need to make two separate recipes in two separate bowls for the yogurt marinade (4 breasts in each bowl) the sauce recipe may be successfully doubled into one recipe but use no more than 2-3 tablespoons fresh garlic if you are doubling the sauce. Cooking time is for grilling the chicken and for making the sauce.
Top Review by vdm86
Wow, I was a little skeptical because the recipe didn't call for garam masala, but it tastes fairly authentic without it. The real flavor is in the chicken, as everyone else has said, but the sauce is delicious, too! The chicken was spicy and the sauce was milder, and they made a perfect combination. I'm so excited to have found this recipe. I cut the recipe down to one serving, and I still have plenty leftover for another meal. Thanks!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (cut into about about 1 to 1-1/2-inch cubes, can use 5 breasts)
- 4 -5 wooden skewers (soaked in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes)
- 1 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne (adjust amount to suit heat level)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (or use 1 teaspoon fine black pepper)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (sliced in half) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper (seeds removed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- For the marinade; in a large bowl combine yogurt, lemon juice, cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, ginger and the garlic halves (if using) mix until well blended.
- Add in the chicken cubes or strips; toss to combine well with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours (mixing a couple of times during chilling).
- Thread the chicken onto water-soaked skewers, and discard the marinade.
- Grease the grill grates, then grill for about 5-6 minutes on each side (or the chicken may be oven-broiled.
- For the sauce; melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir for about 1 minute.
- Add in tomato sauce and whipping cream; simmer uncovered on low heat until the sauce thickens (about 20-25 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Add in the grilled chicken cubes and simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- Season with more salt and black pepper if desired.
- Transfer to a large serving platter and garnish with cilantro.