Prep 6 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Usually tikka recipes use chicken breast but this one uses drumsticks for an economical option.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2⁄3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Wash chicken and remove skin from drummies (pulling it off with a paper towel makes it easier, also if you do this when they are slightly frozen it helps).
- Whisk together yogurt, ginger, chili powder, ground coriander, salt, pepper, lemon juice, food coloring (optional), tomato paste, and oil.
- Add chicken to marinade and chill overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken legs on a foil lined baking sheet (do not add any extra marinade that falls away) and bake at 375°F for 40-60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Finish cooking chicken on a grill or under the broiler for 5-8 minutes (gives a light char).
I went back to the traditional chicken breasts,rather than drumsticks,as DH hasn't quite mastered eating off the bone yet (sigh!).I made it as stated,but cut back on the chicken,and the colouring.I'm glad that I did,as I'm not sure that there would have been enough marinade otherwise.I marinaded for the best part of a day.The marinade stuck to the chicken pretty well,and gave it a good coating.I baked mine for about 45 minutes,then grilled it to char it slightly.It went down extremely well,with DH giving big thumbs up proclaiming it was gorgeous. Thanks Sue.Made for PRMR.
I don't know if I did something wrong, but i followed the recipe exactly, and it didn't taste anything like it does in the restaurants.