Recipe by Pets'R'us
Over the years I have made many tikka recipes. This is my favorite since a few years. I have combined a recipe from the Master Chefs of India and Pat Chapman. Serve with onion rings, tomatoes and fresh coriander leaves. Marinating time not included.
Top Review by Cathy-O
This was an easy and delicious recipe to prepare. I used thighs which i slashed with a knife so the spices would penetrate. Cooked for 17 to 20 minutes and then turned and cooked the other side for another 20. I added the juice of one lemon to the marinade for a bit of zing. Also added powdered tandoori color for that authentic look! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 3 -4 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 small grated onion
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- melted butter, for basting (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken breasts in long strips or cubes.
- In a medium bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, onion, chili powder, coriander, tomato paste and salt.
- Add the chicken to the marinade mix well.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 6 hours but overnight is better.
- Skewer the chicken and cook under a hot grill, or even nicer cook them on the barbeque, 4 to 5 minutes on each side basting them with butter.
- Serve on the skewers (or remove the chicken from the skewers if you prefer).