Recipe by Tulsi Regmi
Himalayan Rice Noodle Soup with Vegetables and Chicken Slices
Top Review by mianbao
Wow! This is delicious. I had read the previous reviews, but forgotten about them when I made the soup. Perhaps this just shows that we're all different. I found the seasoning delightfully fragrant, and enjoyed all the different vegetables. I did substitute bok choy for spinach, but that was the only substitution. I also scaled the recipe for a smaller number of servings. I used thin rice noodles, but less than what is called for here. It may be that I'm very happy with this because I had no preconceived notion of how it should taste. Be that as it may, I will definitely be making this again. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.
- 1 lb rice noodles
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb grilled chicken breast, cut into very thin 1/8 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup celery, julienned
- 1 cup spinach, washed and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 fresh red chili peppers
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechwan peppercorn (timur)
- 1⁄16 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until slightly undercooked.
- Drain and rinse; reserve in a large bowl.
- In a blender, mix all soup paste ingredients into a thick paste; reserve in a small bowl.
- In a sauce pan heat cooking oil; add soup paste, fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Add chicken broth; mix well.
- Bring to a boil; set heat to low and cook for a few minutes; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add all vegetables into the soup mixture; cook for a few minutes or until tender.
- You may add more broth if a soupier consistency is desired.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, pour soup broth into a serving bowl and add grilled chicken slices and cooked rice noodles. Serve immediately.
- Add hot chili sauce or tomato achar to the soup if you desire spicy soup broth.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.