1/2 Photos of Chicken Thighs With Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Parsnips
2 hrs 20 mins
From the Fine Cooking Website. The preparation time includes 1 hour marinating. You can marinate the chicken as soon as you get home from work and cook it in an hour or two. Or you can toss all the ingredients together quickly in the morning and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator all day. The recipes say to turn the chicken occasionally, but if you're not home during the day, don't worry about that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (whole-grain)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and skin (With Skin On ( about 6 oz. each)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (medium-large- 12 oz.)
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (medium 6 oz. total)
- 4 shallots, lobes separated, peeled and halved through the root end
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1Stir together the oil, mustard, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoons of the pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- 2Heat the oven to 425°F.
- 3Arrange the chicken skin side up on one end of a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with any remaining marinade. At the other end of the baking sheet, toss together the sweet potato, parsnips, shallots, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Spread into a single layer. Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables lightly with a little more salt and roast for 20 minute Baste the chicken with the pan juices using a brush and stir the vegetables. Continue to roast, basting and stirring every 10 min., until the chicken is burnished—deeply browned—and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minute more.
- 4Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crisp, 5 to 8 minute Drain the bacon on paper towels. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it and toss with the parsley.
- 5When the chicken is done, stir the vegetables and transfer them to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Toss with half of the bacon mixture. Baste the chicken and transfer with tongs to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon mixture, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Thighs With Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Parsnips
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.9
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 162.0 mg
- Sodium 562.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 34.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: