Recipe by CookGordon
From the Fine Cooking Website. The preparation time includes 1 hour marinating. You can marinate the chicken as soon as you get home from work and cook it in an hour or two. Or you can toss all the ingredients together quickly in the morning and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator all day. The recipes say to turn the chicken occasionally, but if you're not home during the day, don't worry about that.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (whole-grain)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more as needed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and skin (With Skin On ( about 6 oz. each)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (medium-large- 12 oz.)
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (medium 6 oz. total)
- 4 shallots, lobes separated, peeled and halved through the root end
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together the oil, mustard, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoons of the pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Arrange the chicken skin side up on one end of a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with any remaining marinade. At the other end of the baking sheet, toss together the sweet potato, parsnips, shallots, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Spread into a single layer. Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables lightly with a little more salt and roast for 20 minute Baste the chicken with the pan juices using a brush and stir the vegetables. Continue to roast, basting and stirring every 10 min., until the chicken is burnished—deeply browned—and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minute more.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crisp, 5 to 8 minute Drain the bacon on paper towels. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it and toss with the parsley.
- When the chicken is done, stir the vegetables and transfer them to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Toss with half of the bacon mixture. Baste the chicken and transfer with tongs to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon mixture, and serve hot.