Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very hearty and delicious chicken dish! it's cooked on top of the stove then it finishes in the oven. If you don't have a large ovenproof skillet, then after simmering the bean mixture transfer to a large baking dish, and add in the chicken as stated. Use only stewed tomatoes for this!
Top Review by ltemple99
This recipe is absolutely wonderful. Nice depth of flavor - great Sunday dinner. I omitted green peppers (personal preference), but otherwise followed the recipe. Thank you for posting!
- 10 slices bacon, chopped into about 1-inch pieces
- 8 large chicken thighs (with skin and bone on)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb fresh button mushroom
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large ovenproof skillet cook the bacon until browned (about 7-8 minutes) transfer to paper towels (reserving the fat in the skillet).
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken in the bacon fat over medium heat (about 8 minutes per side) transfer to a plate.
- Pour off some of the fat in the skillet, then add in the onions, green bell pepper, mushrooms and dried chili flakes; saute for about 10-12 minutes, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan (adding in the garlic the last few minutes, then continue to cook for a couple minutes more, the onions and mushrooms should be light brown).
- Add in the bacon back to the skillet, along with the stewed tomatoes with juice and the wine; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the drained beans mix to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add/nestle in the browned chicken thighs skin side up in the mixture.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree F oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and serve.