1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
If I am not in a rush I season the chicken first with salt and pepper then brown in oil, and transfer to the baking dish, the oven-baking time will be less, and I think that the chicken definately tastes better if it is browned first. I have made this using other brands of prepared mustard but for some reason French's brand is the best! To save time you can prepare the sauce the evening or day before and chill. You can use any chicken pieces that you desired, I usually use a whole cut-up chicken in place of the 10 thighs, although I have 10 thighs listed you can sneak a couple more thighs in the dish! If you don't brown the chicken first, this makes a quick weeknight meal. I have made this many times, it is easy and delicious! Adjust all sauce ingredients to suit taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 chicken thighs (can use less or even a couple more)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, lighty packed (if you prefer a sweeter sauce then add in another 1/4 cup packed, I most always do!)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup prepared mustard (use French's mustard)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a large roasting pan.
- 3Place the chicken thighs (skin-side up) in the prepared baking dish.
- 4In a saucepan melt butter and then saute the onions, garlic, thyme and dried chili flakes for about 4-5 minutes.
- 5Add in the crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce (do not add in the mustard until the end of cooking!) mix to combine, season with salt, black pepper; bring to a boil, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and add in the mustard; mix to combine.
- 7Pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish, the turn over the chicken once to coat in sauce making certain to leave the skin side up.
- 8Bake uncovered, basting with sauce every 30 minutes (total cooking time should take about 1 hour and 10 minutes, if you have browned the chicken first then baking time will be less).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Thighs in Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 926.6
- Calories from Fat 504
- Total Fat 56.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 259.7 mg
- Sodium 992.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 44.9 g
- Protein 51.6 g