Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In ‘The Big Book of Chicken’ by Maryana Vollstedt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, excess fat and skin trimmed (about 1 Ã 1/2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, slightly pureed in a food processor
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm ½ tablespoon of the oil.
- Add the thighs and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer them to a 2-quart casserole.
- Add the remaining ½ tablespoon oil to the skillet; add the onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until tender, 6-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, Italian seasoning, and remaining ¼ teaspoon sauce and mix well.
- Pour over the thighs.
- Bake, covered, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheeses melt, about 5 minutes longer.