Rose J's Note:
This is budget friendly and good! From Rachael Ray
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup oranges or 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes cornbread mix, such as Jiffy brand
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F (for Jiffy) for the cornbread.
- 2Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat with the sweet potatoes and enough cold water to cover them. Bring the water up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to medium and boil the sweet potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the cooked potatoes and reserve.
- 3While the potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and add to the hot pan. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 4Remove the browned chicken to a plate and add the butter to the pan to melt. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook for about a minute. Whisk the stock and juice into the butter-flour mixture and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the barbecue sauce, scallions, peas and reserved chicken to the pan, and stir to combine. Season again with salt and pepper and transfer to a casserole dish.
- 5Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Spread over the top of the casserole and bake until the bread is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Thigh Pie
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 788.4
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 213.1 mg
- Sodium 1413.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 25.5 g
- Protein 43.6 g