Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally printed in Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook, this hearty, tomato-based stew tastes a little like a mild chili with the smokey taste of fried chicken. Don't let the lima beans discourage you. They really do add to the favor. Variation: two pounds of beef maybe substituted for the chicken.
- Flour the chicken.
- In a large stock pot, brown the chicken in oil.
- Add the onions and cook until clear, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, water and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is almost tender.
- Take out the chicken and remove the bones and skin. Leave the chicken meat in fairly large pieces.
- Return the chicken to the stew and add the corn and lima beans.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot.