Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Marinated in a garlicky sweet and sour sauce, the chicken pieces are then easily barbecued or oven-baked to perfection.Special homemade Thai sauce as either a dipping sauce or a glaze.
- 1 fresh chicken (chopped into small parts, OR 4-8 fresh chicken thighs)
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml dark soy sauce (OR 1 more Tbsp. regular soy sauce)
- 29.58 ml fish sauce
- 44.37 ml sherry wine (cooking sherry works well too)
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml black peppercorns (crushed with pestle & mortar,, OR coursely ground with coffee grinder or pepper mill)
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
DIPPING SAUCE or GLAZE
- 118.29 ml rice vinegar (OR other type of vinegar ( white, white wine, or apple cider)
- 78.07 ml brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 fresh red chilies, minced or 1.62-2.46 ml dried crushed chili or 1.62-2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 14.79 ml fish sauce
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 1.Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- 2.Add chicken parts or thighs, turning several times to ensure the chicken is covered with marinade.
- 3.Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate while you heat up the grill and prepare the dipping sauce. OR allow chicken to marinate overnight, or up to 24 hours.
- 4.To make the dipping sauce/glaze, place all the dipping sauce/glaze ingredients in a sauce pan. Stir and bring to a boil.
- 5.Reduce heat to medium-low. Allow sauce to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken as it cooks and become tangy - a mixture of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy.
- 6.Tip: this sauce can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold, so you can easily make it ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- 7.Brush your grill with a little vegetable oil, then grill the chicken, turning occasionally. Brush the chicken with the leftover marinade for the first 10 minutes or so, then discard marinade.
We quibbled over who'd get the last thigh, but I was at a disadvantage. I'm a lover, not a fighter.
Lots of flavor here! Great marinade and glaze. The weather turned bad so I ended up baking the chicken thighs, but looking forward to doing this again on the grill. May try the glaze on some salmon too! Made for My 3 Chefs game.