Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a lighter version of Chicken Tetrazzini. I found it in a Cooking Light pasta book. It is great for a low sodium diet too. It tastes really good for being a light dish. My family enjoyes this...even my 4 picky kids. The basil, oregano, and parsley are my additions. I have also made this without the Sherry and Pimientos with wonderful results. (1 1/3 cup servings)
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄3 cups no-salt-added chicken broth, undiluted (I make my own)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese, product
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (- can be left out)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 7 ounces spaghetti or 7 ounces your favorite pasta, cooked
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (about 3/4 lb skinned, and boned.)
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat, add muchrooms and onion, and saute until all the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add broth, milk, and cream cheese.
- Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 Tbsp.
- of Parmesan cheese and the next 5 ingredients.
- Taste for sesonings it may need some salt.
- Stir pasta and chicken into the mushroom mixture and spoon into a deep buttered 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover casserole and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I too found this same recipe in Cooking Light and we love it. It's a good dish when company is coming.
It is a good recipe for a low cal and low fat. It was a little bland added more salt and pepper to the final dish and it had more zip. I will make it again.