Recipe by BeachGirl
Perfect for potluck suppers. It can be made ahead,frozen, thawed and then baked. A favorite with children, too. My best friend gave me this recipe, and my family has been eating it forever. Very yummy!
Top Review by Rita~
Made mine spicy by adding jalapeno cheddar cheese in place of the sharp cheddar cheese and added 1/2 shredded mozzarella cheese. And cheated by using store bought already cooked chicken. I used penne. And instead of layering I mixed it all together. Very quick and easy and delish!
- 4 -5 cups cooked chicken, cut into large bite-size pieces (I use meat from 3-5 pound fryer, boiled, skinned, deboned and drained)
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti or 1 (8 ounce) packagenarrow egg noodles, cooked al dente according to package directions,drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated or shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 1-quart casserole and a 2-quart casserole (or 1 3-quart casserole) with non-stick cooking spray.
- To melted butter, add onion, soup, cheese and chicken broth and stir to mix.
- Set aside.
- In casserole dish, beginning with chicken layer, alternate layers of chicken, spaghetti (or noodles) and cheese sauce, making two layers and ending with sauce.
- Add corn flake crumbs on top of casserole.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until hot in center.
- VARIATION: Substitute 2-3 pounds shrimp, peeled and cooked, in place of chicken.