Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was one of my favorites growing up, and I always get compliments whenever I make it. I love parmesan cheese so I use a full cup of it on top.
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in saucepan; blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in broth and cream, bring to a boil and let boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sherry, chicken, mushrooms and spaghetti.
- Pour into casserole dish and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn on broiler and brown for 3-5 minutes--watch carefully.
This will be a regular recipe in our house! Took other reviewer suggestions & added a small chopped onion & 2 cloves garlic. Also, I didn't have hvy cream so just used lowfat milk. Because of this, I increased the flour to thicken the milk. Maybe extra 1 or 2 Tbsps flour? ( I eyeballed it.) Husband loved it & picky toddler ate it as well!
This is a really good recipe, and I'll definitely use it again. However, I think it needs something to give it a little "oomph". I added some fresh garlic, but next time, I'll probably add more (if my DH liked onions, I'd probably add them, too). I will probably also add some garlic powder or garlic salt. Also, I think I will mix some of the parmesean cheese in with the sauce and use fresh mushrooms instead of canned. I loved the addition of the sherry wine. It gave the dish an interesting flavor. Thank you for posting!
This was definately one to put in my Recipezaar Cookbook!! My family and I really liked it. I didn't have any whipping cream so I used milk. I also added one (1) medium onion... since we like onions and added more milk (1/4 cup because with the onions added... it made it a little thick). I think I'd like to try to add "grilled" chicken next time. Thanks for submitting this recipe! It was our very first recipe to try from this website and we were very impressed. Kathy, Spring, TX