Recipe by Bev
Delicious way to use up some of that leftover chicken (or turkey)!
Top Review by SuzieQue
Oh so good on a cold winter night! The whole family enjoyed this - from grandkids up to adults. Creamy, mild but tasty. I used half white wine and half sherry. Thanks Bev for an easy, delicious recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, divided (freshly grated)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced (or turkey)
- 12 ounces vermicelli, cooked
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add diced onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk in flour until smooth, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk and wine; cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened.
- Add bouillon granules, seasoned pepper, and 1 cup cheese.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until bouillon granules dissolve and cheese melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken, pasta, and mushrooms.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake chicken mixture, covered, at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup cheese, breadcrumbs, and 2 tablespoons melted butter, and sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- Bake casserole 10 to 15 more minutes.