Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have made many Chicken Tetrazzini recipes but I always come back to this one. This also freezes well. Reduced fat and reduced sodium mushroom soup and alfredo sauce can be used to lighten up this dish. Adapted from Southern Living.
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) containerrefrigerated alfredo sauce (or make your own)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 7 ounces vermicelli, cooked
- Mix together all ingredients except only use 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Put mixture into a greased 11x7 pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
First I have to say that this was a hubby cooking project. I think that he was "creative". and missed a few ingredients..I didn't find any mushrooms and I know that they were supposed to be there. The important thing is that even if he mangled the recipe as written it still tasted really good! In my book any recipe that can survive DH's cooking and still be a pleasure to eat has earned 5 stars in my book
My family really enjoyed this dish. I used cooked dark meat chicken, a 16 ounce jar of alfredo sauce that had parmesan cheese as an ingredient, one can of cream of chicken and mushroom soup, I didn't use the chicken broth, instead I used a little low fat milk to thin the mixture. I used fresh mushrooms instead of canned and added a bit of garlic pepper in place of the ground pepper. Once I placed this concoction into a casserole dish, I sprinkled it with Hungarian paprika. I served this with garlic bread sticks. Wow, this is good stuff. Hubby is taking a dish to work for lunch; he was a very happy camper tonight. I realize I made some pretty major changes, but I need to add that oftentimes I will take a recipe as an outline that will guide me to a meal that I can prepare with items I have on hand. Your recipe was an awesome guide and deserves the 5-star credit for leading the way for me. Thank you!
Whole wheat sphaghetti is very good with this. Don't over cook the pasta since it will continue to cook while being baked in the sauce. I used less Parmesan cheese since the Ragu 50% less fat light Parmesan Alfredo sauce I used had enough flavor.