Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very rich sauce delicious served on toast points or in patty shells. Small portions would make a good appetizer. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 sweetbreads (2 pairs)
- 1 quart water, boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 large chicken, cooked
- 1 quart cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- Add salt and vinegar to boiling water; pour over sweetbreads in a saucepan, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Drain well and cover with cold water until cool enough to handle; drain well.
- Remove all the membrane and cut into small pieces.
- Cut chicken meat finely and add to sweetbreads.
- Place cream in a double boiler and thicken with cornstarch which has been mixed with a little cold milk.
- Add egg yolks and stir well.
- Season with butter, salt and pepper.
- When well thickened and hot, stir in chicken and sweetbreads.
- Just before serving, add sherry wine.