Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There is nothing we like better than a well rounded burger with sensational toppings. This burger combines fabulous flavors and really hits the spot! The prep time/cook time is flexible because I included some of the refrigeration time and when you combine tasks, it doesn't take near so long.
For the grilled onions
- 1 red onion (sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the burgers
- 4 slices white bread, cubed with crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons finely diced onions
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 drops hot sauce (3 to 4)
For the grilled pineapple
- 4 slices pineapple rings
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, freshly crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- To make the onions: Place onion slices in a shallow baking dish. In a small saucepan, combine coriander seeds, thyme, wine, oil, and lemon juice; bring to a boil over medium heat. Let cool slightly, then pour mixture over onions. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To make the burgers: In a large bowl, combine cubed bread with teriyaki sauce and let rest for 5 minutes. Fold in ground meat. In a small pan, sauté onions, garlic, and parsley in sesame oil for 1 minute. Add to ground meat mixture and combine. Add mustard, egg, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and hot sauce. Mix well. Mold into 4 patties and refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
- To make the pineapple: Place pineapple slices on paper towels to drain. Remove and sprinkle with pink peppercorns and salt. Spray lightly with oil. Set aside.
- Spray burgers lightly with oil and place in center of cooking grate. Grill 6 to 8 minutes until well done and internal temperature registers 180ºF/82ºC, turning once halfway through grilling time. Place onions on grill for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time, and grill pineapple for 1 to 2 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Place burgers on grilled buns; top with pineapple and onion.