Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick delicious meal.
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces penne, regate (ridged) or 8 ounces other short pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs.
- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip tenders in egg, then in Parmesan mixture; place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Preheat oven to 450*.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Then top with chicken, remaining 3/4 cup sauce, and finally mozzarella.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, according to package instructions; adding broccoli for final 30 seconds.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and broccoli, and return to pot.
- Add oil and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Toss, gradually adding some reserved pasta water until pasta is lightly coated.
- Serve chicken with penne and broccoli.
I just finished eating this meal. I added one huge clove of garlic as the other review recommended. This meal is AWESOME! So good. I will so be making this again and again! Thank you for such a good meal!
This made a very pretty presentatiion when dished up, however we did find that it needs a little "spicing up". The chicken tenders were quite tasty. I know I will be making this again, but I think I will add some garlic and onion, and maybe some crushed red pepper to turn up the heat a little. Thanks for sharing! Made for My 3 Chefs, Nov. 2008.