Recipe by JusMeLinnie
If you love gumbo, then this recipe is one that you won't want to pass by! Full flavored and delicious, this recipe won 1st Place in the Food Network Ultimate Recipe Chicken Showdown for the Chicken Soups and Stews Category - By Lauren Wyler. This recipe was chosen from contestants all across America who competed in this competition.
- 1 lb andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 lb tasso, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, boiled and shredded
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet (bottled seasoning used to flavor and color gravy)
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen sliced okra
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- steamed cooked white rice, as much as you like
- hot sauce, to taste
- file powder, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot fry andouille and tasso in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, until browned. Remove meats and set aside.
- Add 1 cup vegetable oilm and allow to heat.
- Whisk in flour, and cook until a chocolate color is reached.
- Add onion, celery, garlic and bell pepper to roux, and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add chicken, reserved sausages, stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, and Kitchen Bouquet, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- While gumbo is simmering, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large fry pan. Add okra and cook on medium heat until no longer stringy.
- After gumbo simmers for 45 minutes, add okra, green onion, parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer 20 more minutes.
- Serve with rice and allow people to add hot sauce and file, to taste.