2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
If you love gumbo, then this recipe is one that you won't want to pass by! Full flavored and delicious, this recipe won 1st Place in the Food Network Ultimate Recipe Chicken Showdown for the Chicken Soups and Stews Category - By Lauren Wyler. This recipe was chosen from contestants all across America who competed in this competition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 lb tasso, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, boiled and shredded
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet (bottled seasoning used to flavor and color gravy)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- steamed cooked white rice, as much as you like
- hot sauce, to taste
- file powder, to taste
- 1In a large stock pot fry andouille and tasso in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, until browned. Remove meats and set aside.
- 2Add 1 cup vegetable oilm and allow to heat.
- 3Whisk in flour, and cook until a chocolate color is reached.
- 4Add onion, celery, garlic and bell pepper to roux, and cook 15-20 minutes.
- 5Add chicken, reserved sausages, stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, and Kitchen Bouquet, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 6While gumbo is simmering, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large fry pan. Add okra and cook on medium heat until no longer stringy.
- 7After gumbo simmers for 45 minutes, add okra, green onion, parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- 8Simmer 20 more minutes.
- 9Serve with rice and allow people to add hot sauce and file, to taste.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Tasso and Andouille Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 918.7
- Calories from Fat 630
- Total Fat 70.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 2489.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: