Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
(Classic Tender Chicken Curried in Tomato and Himalayan Herbs)
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1-in . cubes
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamoms, bruised
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- In a large bowl, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and brown chicken.
- Reserve brown chicken in a plate.
- Drain excess oil.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil.
- To the hot oil, add whole red chilies and bay leaf; fry for 30 sec.
- Add turmeric and chopped onion, and fry until brown.
- Put garlic and ginger into the onion mixture; fry for 30 sec.
- To this mixture, add cumin powder, curry powder, chili powder, bruised cardamom, salt and pepper; mix well for a minute or so.
- Transfer browned chicken pieces and chopped tomatoes into the spice mixture; stir well.
- Add broth to the chicken mixture; set heat to low and let simmer until chicken pieces are tender, and the sauce has thickened up to a desired consistency, about 35-45 minute.
- When cooked, turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Serve hot with rice and roti (flat bread).
This was quite good. It was easy to throw together. Thanks for sharing!
I had recently had this dish at a nepalese restaurant so I was pretty excited when I found this. I wasn't disappointed either! While a little different the flavors were the same and it was really pretty easy. Thanks for posting, I will definetly be making this one again!
Yum! This was great - and so easy. I used (skinned) drumsticks and cooked for about 90 minutes. I then removed the bones and shredded the meat throughout the dish. I finished it off with a handful of cashew nuts over each serving.