Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this one online but I don't remember where. The flautas are very good but the salsa is outstanding. It goes well with all manner of dishes especially tacos, burritos, and chimichangas, etc. The times are a guess.
- 12 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 24 corn tortillas
Warm Tomato Salsa
- 8 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tomatillos, chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded, deveined, minced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (not as sweet as Mediterranean)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix 3/4 cup cheese with chicken.
- Heat tortillas one at a time in a very hot, dry pan until soft.
- Fill and roll each tortilla, as its heated, with chicken/cheese mixture.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Heat a frying pan containing 1/2 inch oil to 350°F.
- Deep fry flautas until golden and crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve topped with warm tomato salsa and crumbled cotija cheese.
- Mix all salsa ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Sauté, stirring all the while, until it just starts to simmer.
- Remove from heat, its ready to serve.
- This goes great with Spanish Rice (my recipe # 77908) and refried black beans (Di Neal recipe # 10614).
We love Mexican around here, and I was searching for something different to make. This was it! We loved the salsa! I used 2 jalapenos to bring up the heat a little, and it was great! We enjoyed these right down to fighting over the last one! We will enjoy these many times!