Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I don't remember where this recipe came from. We love these served with a rice pilaf and green salad. They do take a little bit of time - just so you know. Times are approximate.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- Place chicken in medium saucepan of lightly salted water.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Reduce to low, simmer until chicken is white throughout but moist. Shred. In medium skillet, heat 1 TBSP oil over med-high heat.
- Add onion and oregano.
- Cook until onion is limp. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream cheese.
- Add chicken, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- In medium skillet, heat 2 TBSP oil over med-high heat.
- Using tongs, soften tortillas 1 at a time by dipping in hot oil for about 2 seconds on each side.
- Add oil if needed.
- Drain between paper towels.
- Stack and keep covered with a clean towel.
- To fill: Place 1 tortilla on work place, spoon about 2 TBSP mixture in strip in lower 1/3 of tortilla.
- Roll up tightly.
- Secure with toothpick and lay seam side down on plate.
- Repeat with all tortillas.
- Taquitos can be held, covered and refrigerated, up to 6 hours before frying. Cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- In medium skillet, heat remaining oil over med-high heat.
- Fry taquitos, 2 at a time, seam side down, turning, until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Cut each taquito in half.