Recipe by Shana J
This is one of my kids favorite recipes. We all love taquitos and since we can change use our choice of cheese and fillings they think they're better than the frozen taquitos in the store.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar cheese (or a shredded blend) or 1 cup mozzarella cheese (or a shredded blend) or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese (or a shredded blend)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 24 corn tortillas
- oil (for deep frying)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine chicken, enchilada sauce, cheese, onion, chilies and garlic salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat oil. Use tongs to dip each tortilla in oil for about 5 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Place 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture onto each tortills. Toll tortillas as tightly as possible and hold closed with a toothpick.
- Heat additional oil in skillet. Deep fry taquitos until browned (about 1-5 minutes depending on how crisp you want them). Drain on paper towel and serve with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.
- Serve 2 taquitos per person.
- To freeze: Prepare taquitos as directed. Allow to cool and place on a baking sheet. Freeze until firm and then transfer to a freezer bag.
- To serve: Microwave to thaw and reheat.