Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chicken Tandoori without a tandor oven as presented on America's Test Kitchen.
Make and share this Chicken Tandoori (America's Test Kitchen) recipe from Food.com.
- Prepare spices. Heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Saute garlic and ginger for 1 minute until fragrant. Add cumin, chilli powder, and garam masala. Stir spices for 30 secs. Take off of heat. Split spice mixture in half into two bowls.
- In smaller bowl combine spice mixture with 2 T lime juice and 1 cup yogurt. In a larger bowl combine spice mixture with 2 T lime juice and 2 t salt.
- Prepare chicken. Take off skin. Split breasts in half cutting through the bones. Score chicken pieces with two 1/8" cuts on one side per piece. Place chicken into large bowl (salt rub). Work salt into chicken. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature. After 30 minutes, pour yogurt over chicken and toss.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and place wire rack on top. Place chicken score side down on wire rack and bake for about 22 minutes. Breast meat should register 125 degrees and thigh meat should register 130 degrees. Pull out chicken and turn on broiler. Turn chicken score side up and cook chicken an additional 8-15 minutes depending on broiler. Breast meat will register 165 and thigh meat will register 175 when done.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes before serving.
I love this recipe. I made it at least several times. It's easy and very tasty. If you see the youtube video of it, it's even easier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dak_wGIFznY I serve it with jasmine rice, raita, and naan.
While ATK usually has great recipes this one was simply average, nothing great or bad just average. As always I follow the recipe exactly, then make slight adjustments. However, we were just not impressed.