Recipe by justcallmetoni
After wondering how Tamale Pie for Two (Ww Core) would work with chicken, I began experimenting and came up with this dish. This is serious comfort food with a Tex-Mex twang. Small serving cooking means grabbing bits of leftovers in the fridge, so I've included a couple of ingredient options.
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons green peppers or 2 tablespoons red peppers, small dice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fat free chicken broth
- 3 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (comes to a loose 3/4 cup) or 3 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken thighs, shredded or diced small (comes to a loose 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup canned pinto beans or 1⁄3 cup black beans or 1⁄3 cup red beans or 1⁄3 cup kidney bean, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomato, measure with juice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal (divided)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk or 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons soy cheddar cheese (optional) or 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a non-stick skillet, with a light coating of cooking spray. Add the onions and green peppers and cook for a minute. Add 1 tablespoon of broth and cook an additional 2 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the shredded chicken, chili powder, cumin and broth and stir until the broth is heated. Now add the tomatoes, corn, beans and 1/2 tablespoon of corn meal. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Transfer to a one quart casserole.
- Place the milk, cornmeal and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir frequently until you have a thickened mush. Alternately, you can cook the ingredients in a microwave and cook for 2 and 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl beat the egg whites by hand until foamy. Slowly add in the corn meal, stirring to make sure it does not scramble the egg. Add the soy cheese/cheese if using.
- Top the casserole with the cornmeal mush.
- Place the casserole on a cookie sheet to catch drips and place in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes the top should be puffed and lightly browned.