1/1 Photo of Chicken Tajine with Olives and Preserved Lemons
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Moroccan cuisine is superb. This is a wonderful dish that is sure to convert you if you've never tried it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 (2721.55 g) chicken, each cut into 6 pieces
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 2 small onions, finely grated
- 9.85 ml minced fresh ginger or 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 3 inch cinnamon sticks or 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml saffron thread, crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and coarsely chopped or 354.88 ml drained, canned tomatoes
- 6 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 preserved lemons
- 226.79 g kalamata olive
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- 2Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan along with the onions, ginger, cinnamon and saffron.
- 3Cook over high heat, turning the chicken occasionally, until browned all over, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, cilantro and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- 6Meanwhile, rinse the preserved lemons under running water; pat dry.
- 7Cut the lemons into quarters.
- 8Discard the pulp from one of the lemons and finely chop the peel.
- 9Reserve the quarters for garnish.
- 10Transfer the chicken to a large plate.
- 11Strain the cooking liquid and return it to the casserole.
- 12Boil over high heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 13Add the chopped preserved lemons and the olives and simmer over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
- 14Add the chicken pieces and simmer until heated through.
- 15Arrange the chicken pieces on a serving dish.
- 16Pour the sauce on top and garnish with the lemon quarters.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tajine with Olives and Preserved Lemons
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1124.5
- Calories from Fat 734
- Total Fat 81.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 340.1 mg
- Sodium 800.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 85.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: