Recipe by alligirl
If mini pita breads are unavailable in your area, split larger pita breads horizontally in half and cut out smaller pita rounds using a 3-inch-diameter biscuit cutter. You can streamline the process by preparing both the chicken salad and the toasted pita rounds one day in advance. Taken from professional-cooking.com for ZWT.
- 20 pita breads, cut horizontally in half (mini - 2-3 inch diameter)
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups shredded skinned cooked chicken (from two 2-pound roast chickens)
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Brush cut side of pita bread rounds lightly with olive oil; arrange rounds on heavy large baking sheet.
- Bake until crisp and golden, about 6 minutes; cool pita rounds.
- Mince garlic in food processor.
- Add tahini, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and lemon peel; blend well.
- With machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup water, blending until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Mix in 1/2 cup chopped cilantro; season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in large bowl.
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups sauce, 1/4 cup cilantro, and remaining lemon juice (reserve remaining sauce for another use).
- Season chicken salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 1 day ahead. Store pita rounds in an airtight container at room temperature. Cover chicken salad and refrigerate.
- To serve:.
- Spoon generous 1 tablespoon chicken salad atop each pita round.
- Arrange on platter. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Sprinkle with pine nuts and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and serve.