1 hr 10 mins
Sarah Chana's Note:
A nice change for passover. Adapted from a recipe on Aish.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb onion, chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 fresh fennel bulbs, trimmed, bulbs quartered vertically
- 5 large carrots, sliced into 1-inch chunks (it's nice if they are sliced on the diagonal)
- 1 (10 ounce) can artichoke hearts, unseasoned, drained and rinsed
- 1Heat 1/4 cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add next 7 ingredients and 6 tbsps. each parsley, dill, and mint; saute 3 minutes longer.
- 3Scrape contents of skillet into heavy large pot; reserve skillet.
- 4Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- 5Heat 2 tbsps. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 of chicken and saute until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to pot with onion mixture.
- 6Repeat with remaining chicken in 2 more batches, adding more oil by tablespoonfuls if needed.
- 7Add broth to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Transfer broth to pot; add fennel and carrots.
- 8Drain artichokes and add to pot.
- 9Bring tagine to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- 10Uncover and simmer until chicken and all vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to large bowl.
- 11Boil sauce until reduced enough to coat spoon, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Return chicken and vegetables to sauce.
- 13Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Re-warm tagine over medium heat. Transfer to large bowl.
- 14Sprinkle with 2 tbsps. each of parsley, dill and mint.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tagine With Spring Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (602 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.9
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 432.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 51.0 g