1/5 Photos of Chicken Tagine With Plums and Spices
Chef Kate's Note:
A recipe from Eric Ripert of Le Bernadin, it is subtly spicy. Serve with couscous, a nice Bordeaux or Syrah and something chocolate for dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large chicken, cut into eight pieces
- fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder (optional)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons preserved lemons, rind only, flesh discarded, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 prunes, quartered and stones removed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons almonds, slivered, toasted
- 2 cups couscous, cooked
- 1Place a tagine (or large heavy-bottomed casserole) at least 10 inches in diameter over high heat, and add the oil.
- 2Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- 3When the oil is hot, place the chicken pieces skin-side-down in the pot.
- 4When the oil starts to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium.
- 5Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon each of the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder (if using) over the chicken.
- 6Cook until the chicken is golden brown, about 15 minutes (Check regularly to make sure that the chicken is not sticking to the pan).
- 7Spread the onion, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes on a cutting board, and season generously with the salt and pepper.
- 8Add them to the tagine, covering the chicken.
- 9Sprinkle with the remaining coriander, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder.
- 10Add the lemon rind and chicken stock, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- 11Add the plums and cook for a further 15 minutes or until chicken is tender (It may take a little longer if you’re using a tagine).
- 12To serve, place about 1/2 cup of couscous on each plate, top with a few pieces of chicken, and spoon some cooking liquid and vegetables over each plate.
- 13Garnish with almond slivers.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tagine With Plums and Spices
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1073.7
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 175.2 mg
- Sodium 321.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: