1/5 Photos of Chicken Tagine With Pine-Nut Couscous
1 hr 30 mins
From Sunset Magazine March 2007. I can't wait to try this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (with skin)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 small dried red chilies, such as arbol
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 dried apricots, halved
- 15 pitted prunes, halved
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley, plus
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1Heat oil in a 6- to 8-qt. heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add half chicken, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn over and cook 3 minutes more.
- 3Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining chicken and set aside.
- 4Drain all but 2 T. oil from pot and reduce heat to medium.
- 5Add onion and sauté until golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6Add garlic and ginger and cook stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- 7Add cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, cardamom pods, chilies, and salt and stir to combine.
- 8Return chicken to pot and add apricots, prunes, 2 cup chicken broth, and parsley sprigs. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- 9Take pot off heat and remove parsley sprigs and chilies.
- 10Remove skin from chicken.
- 11In a covered medium saucepan, bring remaining 2 cups chicken broth to a boil. Turn off heat, stir in couscous, cover, and let sit 5 minutes.
- 12Uncover pan and fluff couscous with a fork.
- 13Stir in 2 tablespoons minced parsley, pine nuts, and lemon zest and toss to combine. Mound couscous on a platter. Top with chicken thighs and pour sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tagine With Pine-Nut Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 876.7
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 118.4 mg
- Sodium 777.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 41.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: