Recipe by Sage
This combination of cooking-methods allows the food to slow-cook from all directions to make a perfect, fragrant casserole with exotic flavours. It is a one pan meal; you brown your meat in the same pan that you cook and follow the direction.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup pitted green olives, halved (about 12)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine juice and chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Dredge in flour; sprinkle with salt, black pepper, turmeric, and red pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet with high sides over medium-high heat.
- Add half of chicken; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Return chicken to pan.
- Add broth, olives, rind, potatoes, cinnamon stick, apricots and almonds; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Discard the cinnamon stick; stir in parsley.
- Serve with couscous.