Recipe by Marilyn Rob
A very tasty, tangy chicken dish from Morocco. The extra time for marinating is worth it.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Was going to make this with just chicken breasts but at the last minute decided to make the recipe as written (well, except that I substituted lemon pepper for the S&P)! Not sure it wouldn't have worked out just as well with the breasts, but I will admit that the whole chicken made for A WONDERFULLY TASTY DINNER! Really liked the great garlic & lemon flavors! [Tagged, made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, quartered, backbone removed
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop garlic, cilantro and parsley in food processor.
- Transfer to bowl. Add onions, lemon juice, olive oil,.
- Paprika, lemon peel, ground cumin, salt, pepper, and saffron.
- Mix well. Pour over chicken in pan. Cover well and refrigerate for
- Up to 24 hours. (a minimum of 3 hours).
- Preheat oven to 400. Add 1 ½ c water. Cover and bake until chicken is cooked through (1 hour).
- Serve on platter with juices.