Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
A very tasty, tangy chicken dish from Morocco. The extra time for marinating is worth it.
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, quartered, backbone removed
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Finely chop garlic, cilantro and parsley in food processor.
- Transfer to bowl. Add onions, lemon juice, olive oil,.
- Paprika, lemon peel, ground cumin, salt, pepper, and saffron.
- Mix well. Pour over chicken in pan. Cover well and refrigerate for
- Up to 24 hours. (a minimum of 3 hours).
- Preheat oven to 400. Add 1 ½ c water. Cover and bake until chicken is cooked through (1 hour).
- Serve on platter with juices.
Was going to make this with just chicken breasts but at the last minute decided to make the recipe as written (well, except that I substituted lemon pepper for the S&P)! Not sure it wouldn't have worked out just as well with the breasts, but I will admit that the whole chicken made for A WONDERFULLY TASTY DINNER! Really liked the great garlic & lemon flavors! [Tagged, made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]