1/7 Photos of Chicken Tagine With Green Olives & Preserved Lemon
1 hr 30 mins
Based on a recipe from The Best of Clay Pot Cooking by Dana Jacobi. Dana says, “If you can, make this dish as Moroccan women have for centuries, in the cone-topped clay cooker that gives it its name – otherwise a Dutch oven works well.”
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (large thighs are recommended)
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- 2 cups green olives (such as Greek Ionian or Nafplion)
- 1/2 preserved lemon, chopped (or lemon juice to taste)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- black pepper
- 1In a medium-sized tagine or Dutch oven, arrange chicken thighs in a single layer.
- 2Sprinkle the onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic, cumin, ginger, paprika, ½ teaspoon of the pepper, and saffron over the chicken.
- 3Add 2 cups of water and cover.
- 4If using a tagine, set it on a flame-tamer over medium heat.
- 5If using a Dutch oven, set it over medium-high heat (you will not need the flame-tamer).
- 6Bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, pit each olive by placing on a cutting board and smashing firmly with the flat side of a heavy knife. Discard pit.
- 9Add the olives, preserved lemon, and lemon juice to the tagine and cook 20 minutes more, until the chicken meat is falling off the bones.
- 10Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tagine With Green Olives & Preserved Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.0
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 1124.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: