1/4 Photos of Chicken Tagine With Apricots and Honey
A tagine is a Moroccan clay pot used for long slow cooking or braising of succulent stews most often served with couscous. This is an Americanized version of a typical dish that one can easily prepare at home. I love the sweet and spicy contrast found in many dishes from this region and often add a bit of harissa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded thin and cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can 99% fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, cut into thin slivers (the original calls for Turkish but I have also used California apricots with good results)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1Prepare couscous as directed on package. (Some couscous calls for a 1:1 ratio of couscous and water, others 2 parts water to 1 part water.).
- 2Combine flour, paprika, corriander, salt, cinnamon and cumin. Dredge the chicken strips in the flour mixture, shaking off and saving the excess coating.
- 3Mix the remaining flour into the broth, removing any lumps.
- 4In a non-stick large pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browed, about 5 minutes, Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
- 5Add the broth to the pan along with the squash, turnips and apricots. Bring to a low boil, lower heat a touch and simmer about 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- 6Return the chicken to the pan with the vinegar, apple, currants, chickpeas and honey. Simmer until the chicken os cooked through and the apples are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 7To serve, place the couscous onto a large plattter or individual serving bowls. Create a small hollow in the center. Pour the chicken in the center and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tagine With Apricots and Honey
Serving Size: 1 (587 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 1110.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 29.1 g
- Protein 40.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar