Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This Moroccan slow cooker dish is the perfect blend of sweetness and spice.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries
- 118.29 ml chopped dried apricot
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml garlic salt
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 3.69 ml ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml couscous
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces and eggplant in the heated oil; stir and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides but not cooked through. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place the browned chicken and eggplant on the bottom of a slow cooker. Layer the onion, carrots, dried cranberries, and apricots over the chicken.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, lemon juice, flour, garlic salt, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on HIGH setting for 5 hours, or on LOW setting for 8 hours.
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous, and remove from heat. Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.