Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is what I came up with from the surplus of ingredients that I had from an Italian dish I made the other night. I just added cumin and chili powder to the spice/herb mixture for the chicken. I think that the limes in this recipe are what really make it stand out. I hope you like it as much as I did!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup refried beans
- 6 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- mix the thyme, parsley, rosemary, chili powder and salt and pepper with 3 Tbs. of the oil. Spoon or rub this mixture onto the thin pieces of chicken.
- Brown the Chicken on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side on MEDIUM-HIGH heat) in a skillet with the remaining oil. Transfer to the oven, so that the insides can cook through. (about 15 minutes.).
- Once the chicken has cooked, slice it, and I like to get it extra crispy by browning the sliced chicken pieces again in the same skillet that you cooked the chicken in before. Just make sure that the Chicken doesn't dry out.
- I made my own salsa by mixing 1/4 cup minced white onion, 2 chopped tomatoes, some parsley, lime juice, olive oil, chili powder and cumin. But if you want, just use store bought and maybe add a dash each of chili powder and cumin to give it a homemade taste.
- Take the corn tortillas, wrap then in a paper towel and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds just to soften them up.
- place everything; the tortillas, chicken pieces, lettuce, cheese, lime wedges, sour cream, salsa and refried beans in separate bowls so that dinner guests can help themselves to whatever they like.
- Build your own perfect taco and Enjoy!
I liked the idea of using fresh herbs in this version of chicken tacos. This was refreshing and a nice change. I did use flour tortillas since that's what I had. I also only used a drizzle of olive oil enough to make a paste to brush onto the chicken instead of 3 TB. I also just completely cooked this chicken in the skillet rather than putting into the oven. Made for PAC Fall 2007