Recipe by mcknelly1
I found this hearty recipe online several years ago and often make it instead of chili. Made mostly of canned ingredients, this soup lets the slow cooker do the work for you so you can go about your hectic schedule. This recipe is very adaptable to your personal taste. To add more kick simply omit the one can of diced tomatoes and add a second can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
Top Review by angelt985
My guest absolutely loved this soup. I didn't have 7-8 hours to cook it, so I grilled and diced chicken before adding. Allowed it to cook for 4 hours and it was incredible! Can't wait to serve this one again.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and both cans of diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend ingredients.
- Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly just until covered by the other ingredients.
- Set slow cooker on low heat setting, cover and cook for 7-8 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken breasts from the soup and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Dice the chickn into bite size pieces and return to slow cooker. Stir soup to blend in the chicken.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese or sour cream.