This was one of my entries for RSC#13. The delicious homemade French-Salsa dressing makes this taco chicken salad stand out from all the rest. This main dish salad could be made earlier in the day and chilled. Or, if you prefer your chicken warmed, saute the chicken just before you are ready to eat. It takes very little time to make this satisfying meal for your family. Serving size will vary depending on your appetites. It will make approximately 2 cups of salad dressing so you may have some left over depending on how much dressing your guests like on their salad.
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3⁄8 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa (medium or mild depending on taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (12 ounce) bags broccoli slaw mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2⁄3 cup canned corn, drained
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, remove stems and chop
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- tortilla chips, for serving
- sour cream (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- For dressing, combine the first 8 ingredients, making sure to mix very well.
- Add the salsa and combine well.
- Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use (make sure you stir or shake the dressing before serving).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 T-2 T olive oil over medium-high heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl or plastic ziploc bag, add chicken, cumin, barbecue seasoning, cayenne pepper, if using, sea salt and black pepper; shake to coat chicken.
- Toss the chicken mixture in the skillet and cook until nicely browned and it is no longer pink in the middle, about 10-15 minutes.
- In large salad bowl, add broccoli slaw and then layer the beans, chickpeas, corn, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, cumcumber and chicken.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime over the entire salad.
- Top with the amount of dressing you prefer (you may not want all of the dressing on the salad, depending on your taste).
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese, if desired.