Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was one of my entries for RSC#13. The delicious homemade French-Salsa dressing makes this taco chicken salad stand out from all the rest. This main dish salad could be made earlier in the day and chilled. Or, if you prefer your chicken warmed, saute the chicken just before you are ready to eat. It takes very little time to make this satisfying meal for your family. Serving size will vary depending on your appetites. It will make approximately 2 cups of salad dressing so you may have some left over depending on how much dressing your guests like on their salad.
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3⁄8 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa (medium or mild depending on taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (12 ounce) bags broccoli slaw mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2⁄3 cup canned corn, drained
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, remove stems and chop
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- tortilla chips, for serving
- sour cream (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- For dressing, combine the first 8 ingredients, making sure to mix very well.
- Add the salsa and combine well.
- Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use (make sure you stir or shake the dressing before serving).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 T-2 T olive oil over medium-high heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl or plastic ziploc bag, add chicken, cumin, barbecue seasoning, cayenne pepper, if using, sea salt and black pepper; shake to coat chicken.
- Toss the chicken mixture in the skillet and cook until nicely browned and it is no longer pink in the middle, about 10-15 minutes.
- In large salad bowl, add broccoli slaw and then layer the beans, chickpeas, corn, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, cumcumber and chicken.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime over the entire salad.
- Top with the amount of dressing you prefer (you may not want all of the dressing on the salad, depending on your taste).
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese, if desired.
Hands down our favorite recipe! The entire family loved every bit of it. DS commented that he enoyed the contrast of flavors & textures. The dressing was spicy & sweet, the salad was soft & crunchy and every bite was exciting to the taste buds. My biggest compliment would be the seasoning made for the chicken. Every element of this recipe had a place and no one ingredient overpowered any other. My only change was becuase I had no idea what was meant by "barbecue seasoning" so I used Old Bay Seasoning in it's place. Since half the family can't eat cheese I didn't serve it but I did serve the salad with tortilla chips and sour cream. Afterall, what is TACO salad without those two as garnish? Thanks for sharing your creation! Made for RSC Lucky #13. UPDATE: We've made this recipe again several times & will again tonight. It's an excellent way to get the kids to eat all those good veggies & beans without them realizing it. :)
We loved the salad but felt the dressing was a little too sweet for us. Next time we would make the salad and use salsa as the dressing. We added cheese and served with tostada chips. Ate it more like a taco salad. Loved the flavor of cilantro with the broccoli slaw. Nice recipe!