Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Southwestern-inspired chicken taco cornbread wedges with ranchero cilantro drizzle was the First place winner of the 2007 National Cornbread Cookoff. My family just LOVES this meal, it is great to prepare ahead and heat later!
- 1⁄2 cup ranch dressing
- 1⁄2 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup tightly packed cilantro leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 egg
- 1 (7 ounce) packagemartha white sweet yellow cornbread mix
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine ranch dressing, salsa and 1 cup cilantro leaves in a small food processor or blender. Process until well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- In 10-inch Lodge cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken, 3 tablespoons cilantro, salt, cumin, pepper and tomatoes with green chilies; cook 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Wipe out skillet with paper towel; grease.
- In large bowl, beat egg. Add cornbread mix and milk; mix well. Place tortilla chips in greased skillet. Pour cornbread mixture over chips. Spoon chicken mixture over cornbread mixture; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Top with romaine and tomatoes; drizzle with dressing.