Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fairly low-calorie recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
Make and share this Chicken Taco Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 340.19 g chicken breasts, strips for stir-frying
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 177.44 ml chopped red bell peppers (1 medium) or 177.44 ml green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 354.88 ml salsa
- 24 inch corn tortillas, coarsely torn
- 85.04 g reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 118.29 ml cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped (optional)
- corn chips, baked tortilla chips (optional) or broken taco shell (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl toss together chicken, garlic, and chili powder. Add to hot skillet. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add canola oil to skillet. Add onion and sweet pepper. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
- Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup of the salsa in the baking dish. Top with half of the tortilla pieces, half of the chicken mixture, and half of the vegetable mixture. Pour half of the remaining salsa over the vegetables and top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers once, except do not top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and/or corn chips.