Recipe by Natalia 3
You will love this! It's the perfect recipe for a luncheon. Also a good make-ahead recipe for the week. Since I like keeping the seeds in the tomatoes and cukes, I just make the salad without them, then dice them fresh and mix them in each time I serve it. You may want to seed them if you throw it all together at once. I got this from a friend, but I think it came from cooking light or southern living. Serve with bread/butter.
Top Review by Julie.25
This is a perfect recipe for anyone watching their weight. The tabouli is so filling. And by adding chicken - you get a very rounded lunch. I agree with the author that if you're making this for a week of lunches, you will not want to add the tomato and cucumber until the day you're going to eat it. I will prep my lunch the night before and add the tomato/cucumber then. It's fine. But if you add them earlier, they really get mushy and lose that wonderful freshness.
This is one of my diet go-to recipes! Awesome!
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat (or cracked wheat)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- olive oil, for cooking chicken
- 1 whole chicken breast (or 2 split)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup minced scallion (1 bunch)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mint leaf (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley (1 bunch)
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise and medium diced
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes or 2 cups grape tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In heat-proof bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the lemon juice, 1/4 c olive oil, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Stir, cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow bulgur to stand at room temp for an hour.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet and rub it with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for about 35-40 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove chicken meat and medium dice. Add to the tabbouleh. Add scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper. Serve immediately or cover to refrigerate.