1/1 Photo of Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa Stir-Fry
Kathy at Food.com's Note:
It seems that everywhere I look lately, there are great quinoa recipes. This is one of them! The colors are vibrant, it's easy to make, and it tastes great! I've modified it slightly from the version in Prevention Magazine: (1) non-stick spray; (2) pre-grilled chicken; (3) an extra clove of garlic; (4) an extra jalapeno pepper; and (5) optional chicken broth and lime juice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- cooking spray or 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (pre-grilled if you want to save time)
- 1 (200 g) onions, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (188 g) red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lime (optional)
- 1Chop up all the vegetables. But don't combine them, keep each separate.
- 2Combine water and quinoa in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed. About 12-15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, add the sweet potato into another small saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and keep warm. I add them to the cooked quinoa, and cover the pot to keep warm.
- 4Heat a large nonstick frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or use 2 teaspoons canola oil (or a little chicken broth). Add chicken and cook until it starts to brown, about 4 minutes (If using pre-cooked chicken, heat for just a minute or two). Remove to a bowl and keep warm.
- 5Return frying pan to heat and add more nonstick spray or another 2 teaspoons canola oil or chicken broth. Add onion and jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 1 minute. Add bell pepper, garlic and cumin. Continue cooking until veggies soften, about 2-3 minutes. If desired, add 1/2 cup chicken broth to make the dish more moist.
- 6Stir in peas and chicken and cook 2 minutes.
- 7Add quinoa and sweet potato. Cook, stirring often, until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro, salt, black pepper.
- 9Serve with a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa Stir-Fry
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.7
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 54.4 mg
- Sodium 319.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 24.9 g