Recipe by Nana Lee
This is one of my favorite chicken dishes. It's something like chicken corden bleu but much better. A friend's mother was a caterer this was one of her most popular recipes. She says the recipe takes a little time (about an hour or so) but it's well worth it. The dish can be frozen for 2 to 3 months and it gets better when you reheat it.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ounce sliced boiled ham
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sliced swiss cheese
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Open each whole breast so it lies flat. Pound breasts between sheets of waxed paper with a mallet until thin, leaving each whole breast intact.
- Arrange opened breasts on a tray, smooth side down. Cut a piece of ham and a piece of cheese the same size as half the breast and arrange on top of it.
- Fold breast in half to cover ham and cheese. Seal edges by pounding with mallet. Repeat with remaining breast.
- Roll breasts in 2 tablespoons of flour to coat, shake off excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and the oil in a 10-inch skillet.
- Add chicken breasts; cook until underside is golden brown.
- Turn and cook other side 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place breasts on a platter and keep warm in a low oven.
- Add mushrooms, shallots to skillet in which chicken cooked; cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and wine; simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in heavy cream; cook until reduced by half. Remove from heat.
- In a 1 quart saucepan melt remaining butter over low heat.
- Stir in the remaining flour with a wire whisk; blend well.
- Add light cream; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Gradually add sauce to tomato mixture in the skillet and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley.