Recipe by justcallmetoni
Found the orginal recipe on a Canadian cooking site and have modified it a bit to make this dish a bit lighter. If you have a favorite Bechamel sauce that you would prefer to use, by all means do so. Poisted for the Zaar World Tour.
Top Review by Sage
Made this really good recipe for supper; added garlic, a few more mushrooms and olives.I cooked it in my toaster oven in a pan.Served it with rice and green beans.Thank you for sharing.
- 1 1⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 small onion (about 1 1/2 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots
- 4 peppercorns
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, minced
- 2 tablespoons pitted olives, minced
- 1 teaspoon chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- bouquet garni
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the mock Bechamel sauce, add the nonfat milk, onion, carrots, nutmeg and peppercorn to a small saucepan. Bring the milk to boil over medium heat. Turn off heat, put a lid on the pot and let it seep for 10 minutes. Strain out the peppercorns, onion and carrots, reserving seasoned milk. Melt butter in saucepan, whisking in the flour and cornstarch. The mixture will be dry, add about 1/4 of the milk and continue to whisk to a paste. Add in the milk powder first, then remaining milk. Simmer until the sauce is thickened.
- To poach the chicken: add chicken broth and bouquet garni to a large skillet and bring broth to a low boil. Broth should just cover chicken, add more broth if needed. Place chicken breasts into the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To assemble dish: Mix together the mock Bechamel with the olives, mushrooms, parsley, chives and garlich. Tear off four pieces of aluminum foil and prepare the dull side of the foil with a quick shot of cooking spray. Place a chicken breast in the center of each piece of foil, top with 1/4 of the sauce mixture. Fold packets, wrapping chicken tightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 425 degrees. Serve.