Recipe by CarrolJ
This dish is similar to some versions of Chicken Verde. I checked the recipes here and there were none quite like this one which I created several years ago. This is a real hit with my family. If you want more 'heat' just use a hotter Salsa Verde.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup mild salsa verde (this is a green salsa made from tomatillos)
- 8 ounces mild green chilies (peeled or chopped, these are the ones made from mild Anaheim chilis)
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 medium flour tortillas, torn into medium sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken in bite sized pieces.
- Saute the chicken in a skillet until lightly brown with the salt and the pepper.
- In a mixing bowl mix well the soup, sour cream, salsa verde, and chopped chilies.
- Layer the ingredients into a 9 x 13 greased baking pan in the following order: sauce, chicken, torn tortillas, cheese, sauce.
- Repeat the layering a second time.
- It is IMPORTANT to end with sauce so that the cheese doesn't form a crust while baking.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-45 minutes.
- Until golden brown on the top.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve as a casserole with crisp tortilla chips and red salsa as a side.
- My family also enjoys eating the casserole as a hot dip.